Transfer Credit Equivalency
Find out how your existing coursework transfers to U-M.

Washtenaw Community College MTA

Additional Information for LSA Transfer Students

What is the maximum amount of credit that could transfer to the University of Michigan?

LSA allows a maximum of 60 semester or 90 quarter hours of transferable credit from other institutions (including U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint) to be applied toward a degree program (62 transferable credits may be awarded if the enrolled student has already earned an associate’s degree). Students will be required to complete no fewer than 60 additional semester hours, which usually requires four semesters of full-time enrollment. Note: International credits are converted to U-M credits and may not equal what appears on the transcript from a particular country. For example, European ECTS credits will be calculated by .5, and credits from universities in China will be converted as .66.

When must I select a degree and major?

LSA expects students to select a degree structure (B.A., B.S., or B.G.S.) and major (for B.A. and B.S.) by the completion of 60 semester hours. Interests such as pre-med, pre-law, etc. are not majors.

What more can you tell me about the Bachelor in General Studies degree?

The B.G.S., ideally, allows an opportunity to develop a coherent program of study that meets individual interests and goals. Students are urged to give intensive thought to their educational goals and to plan a program carefully to meet those goals. The B.G.S. requires 60 semester hours of advanced level coursework, of which no more than 20 semester hours may be in one department. Consequently, a major is specifically prohibited.

For native English speakers, what kind of foreign language proficiency is expected of me to graduate?

LSA requires a fourth-semester proficiency in a foreign language for all B.A. and B.S. degree programs. You must make the expected progress in meeting this requirement. If you have not, you will be expected to elect a foreign language in your first term of enrollment, and in every subsequent term until the language requirement is completed.  

For non-native English speakers, what proof of English language proficiency is expected for admission?

Non-native speakers of English need to take the TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS exams and have the scores officially submitted to the University of Michigan. More information can be found at   

What kinds of classes will be available to me in my first semester as a transfer student?

Given the large number of students with an interest in certain disciplines, currently enrolled students may fill many courses before you register for the first time. In particular, the departments of Communications Studies, Economics, Organizational Studies, Political Science, Psychology, and Screen Arts and Cultures are especially oversubscribed.

You should prepare to take courses that you consider electives during your first term. However, electing courses in Communications Studies and Screen Arts and Cultures in future terms will continue to be extremely challenging, and success in pursuing majors in those areas may be extremely difficult. Students interested in these majors are strongly encouraged to discuss their goals and possible alternatives with an academic advisor during the initial meeting.

Do I need to apply separately for my major?

Some majors, such as Organizational Studies, have an application process. Acceptance is not guaranteed. Details are online:

Can the required prerequisite courses for the Communication Studies major be completed with transfer credit?

Communication Studies continues to be one of the majors that is heavily over-subscribed so not all students are able to get into classes for the major.  Communication Studies department does not allow any transfer credit to count for the Communication Studies prerequisite courses. These courses are at the freshman and sophomore level so transfer students with more than 54 credits from another institution will need to contact the department for permission to take these courses. This major does require 5 terms to complete the requirements. Additionally, students must obtain at least a 2.7 prerequisite GPA in order to declare the major. It is recommended that transfer students review the department web pages for additional information at: and Questions may be sent to:

What should I know about LSA classes if my intended program is not within LSA?

If your intended program is outside of LSA, e.g. Architecture, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, you cannot always be assured of getting all the prerequisites for your program within your planned time frame. In addition, you cannot be guaranteed admission into the professional school because of the competitive admission situation. Thus, you will be expected to take courses that will also lead to a degree in LSA.  

If you have sophomore standing and would like a degree in Business, please contact the Ross School of Business directly regarding admission at 734-763-5796 or visit

What if I have withdrawn or taken incomplete status in several courses at my current institution?

LSA students are expected to make normal progress toward completing their degree requirements. Withdrawing or taking incomplete statuses is not an acceptable approach in LSA. Course withdrawals that substantially reduce elections would hinder forward progress. Incomplete grades are not automatic and are given only in specified and unusual circumstances. When given, an incomplete grade must be completed within four weeks after the start of the following term of enrollment. After that time, incomplete grades are recorded as course failures.

Does the University of Michigan offer financial aid for transfer students?

Financial aid is available from university, federal, and state programs. Transfer students are considered for most university scholarships upon admission to U-M.

Financial aid is only available to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent resident aliens.  Financial aid is not available to those who hold temporary visas, such as the student visa.

The Current Student Scholarship in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts is available for transfer students in their first fall and winter terms of enrollment. These scholarships are based on financial need. See details about the LS&A scholarship here.

The university offers two scholarships specifically for entering transfer students from Michigan community colleges:

  • Michigan Community College Scholarship
  • Michigan Community College Scholar Award

To be considered for these scholarships, students must apply for financial aid. For more details about these opportunities, click here to download a PDF brochure about these programs.

Will on-campus housing be available to me?

Transfer students are accommodated on a space-available basis at the time the residence hall application is considered. You may want to consult the extensive up-to-date information on off-campus housing available at the University Housing website,

Summary of LSA Degree Requirements

Writing Requirements (FYWR, ULWR)

Students fulfill the First-Year Writing Requirement (FYWR) by taking an approved 4 credit course. Transfer credit can be used to fulfill the First-Year Writing Requirement. 

Students complete the Upper-level Writing Requirement (ULWR) by taking one approved course. Most students fulfill ULWR with a course for their major.  ULWR cannot be fulfilled by transfer credit.

Quantitative Reasoning (QR)

Students fulfill Quantitative Reasoning by

  • passing one course of three or more credits designated for full QR credit (QR/1); or
  • passing two courses (at least one of which must be of three or more credits) designated for half QR credit (QR/2)

Courses transferred from another college or university do not generally automatically carry count for QR credit, except in the following circumstances:

  • Transfer credit of at least three credits for PHYSICS 125, 126, 140, 240 or a statistics (except business statistics) course receive QR/1 credit; or
  • QR is considered fulfilled for all science, math, and computer science majors who transfer in all the prerequisites for the major

Students may petition the Academic Standards Board to be allowed to satisfy the QR requirement with a class that was taken at another institution.

Race and Ethnicity (RE)

Students fulfill the Race and Ethnicity requirement by passing one course designated for RE credit. 

Credits transferred from another college or university do not meet the Race and Ethnicity requirement. Students may petition the Academic Standards Board to be allowed to satisfy the RE requirement with a class that was taken at another institution.

Language Requirement (LR)

Students fulfill the Language Requirement by achieving Fourth-term proficiency in a language other than English in one of the following ways:

  • Certified proficiency on a University of Michigan reading and/or listening placement exam.
  • Credit for a University of Michigan fourth-term language course with a grade of C- or better.
    • Transfer credit equivalent to a fourth-term language class fulfills the language requirement. 

Area Distribution (NS, SS, HU, MSA, CE)

Students fulfill distribution by completing 30 credits outside their major, distributed as follows:

  • 7 credits in each of the following three areas: Natural Science (NS), Social Science (SS), and Humanities (HU) for a total of 21 credits.
  • 3 additional credits in three of the following five areas: (NS), (SS), (HU), Mathematical and Symbolic Analysis (MSA), and Creative Expression (CE) for a total of 9 credits.

Transfer credit can fulfill area distribution.

Bachelor in General Studies students are not required to fulfill Area Distribution.


Each A.B.or B.S. student must complete the requirements for a major. No more than 60 credits in any one department may be counted toward the 120 for the degree. Bachelor in General Studies students do not declare a major.


University of Michigan Questions

Essay #1 (Required for all applicants. Approximately 250 words.)

Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

Essay #2 (Required for all applicants. 500 words maximum.) FRESHMEN APPLICANTS

Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests?

Essay #2 (Required for all applicants. 500 words maximum.) TRANSFER APPLICANTS

Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests?

Requirements by Country

American Overseas Schools and American-Patterned Education 
(Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc.)
International or U.S. students with diplomas from United States-administered American, International, or Department of Defense Dependent schools: Placement in the top ten percent of the class and strong entrance test scores are required for freshman application. Students may apply during their senior year.
American and international students graduating from missionary and other private American type high schools abroad: Evaluation occurs on a case-by-case basis. SAT subject tests may strengthen application for admission.
Australian Capitol Territory: ACT Year 12 Certificate
New South Wales: Higher School Certificate (HSC)
Northern Territory: Northern Territory Certificate of Education
Queensland: Queensland Certificate of Education
South Australia: South Australia Certificate of Education
Tasmania: Tasmanian Certificate of Education
Victoria: Statement of Results, Victoria Certificate of Education (VCE)
Western Australia: Statement of Results, Western Australia Certificate of Education
Tertiary Entrance Exam Rank, UAI, or ENTER score, etc., is required along with any of the above certificates.
British-Patterned Education
(U.K., East and West Africa, Caribbean area, East Asia, Pakistan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore.) Consideration for freshman admission requires at least five ordinary level passes from one sitting at “credit” standard on the General Certificate of Secondary Education, or a comparable maturity certificate (GCSE, CXC, SPM, HKCEE, IGCSE, WASC, EASC, etc.). The Certificate must include a “credit” or “distinction” standard in English. Externally-issued, ordinary level examination results/certificates must be received by the deadline for consideration. If A-Levels are being taken, predicted A-Level results should be submitted by the school at time of application.
Students who are pursuing or who have completed A-Level exams will generally be awarded advanced standing ranging between six and ten credit hours for certain advanced level examinations completed with a grade of “D” or better. A grade of “C” or better is required for Engineering students. Three to five credits may be awarded for certain A/S exams.
Beginning in 2010, the University of Cambridge International Examinations’ new suite of Principal examinations, the Cambridge Pre-U, may be considered for possible advanced standing credit. Certificates with subject grades of D 1 – M 3 and P 1 (Distinction 1,2,3 , Merit 1,2,3 and Pass 1) would be required for advanced standing credit consideration in appropriate Principal Subjects except for Engineering applicants, who would be required to present grades of D 1 – M 3 in appropriate Principal Subjects for possible advanced standing consideration. These standards are tentative and are subject to change. Note: No advanced standing credit is granted for Cambridge Pre-U GPR. Principal Subject examinations are optional and not required for entrance.
Applicants from schools in Hong Kong:
Beginning with the fall 2012 term and beyond, the HKDSE will be required prior to enrollment in lieu of the HKCEE and/or HKALE. U-M offers some renewable scholarships to graduates of schools in Hong Kong. The amount varies per year, depending on the number of students who apply as well as need and merit considerations. Inquire to: University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid, 515 E. Jefferson St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 USA, Attn: Sondra Fonville. Email:
Applicants from schools in Singapore:
H1 Levels may be considered equivalent to A/S Levels; however, a grade of “C” or better would be required for advanced standing credit consideration in appropriate academic subjects. H2 Levels may be considered equivalent to A Levels. A grade of “D” would be required for advanced standing credit consideration in appropriate academic subjects, except for Engineering applicants, who are required to have a grade of “C.” H3 Levels may be considered for credit with grades of “Pass” or above. These standards are subject to change. Predicted H Level results are required to be submitted by the school at time of application if these exams have not yet been taken.
British Columbia
A minimum of four or more Grade 12 provincially examinable academic subjects during the final year. One of these courses must be English 12 where students are required to sit for the provincial exam.
A minimum of five Grade 12 U courses, including Grade 12 U English, leading to the OSSD are required for freshman application. Students may apply during the senior year. No advanced standing credit is given for Grade 12 U/UC coursework. Students who complete programs in Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology (CAATs) apply for freshman admission. Up to 30 credits of advanced standing may be granted on a course-by-course basis for students who have completed a three-year CAAT program. No credit is awarded for completion of a one- or two-year program.
Students enrolled in the first year of a College d’enseignement General et Professionnel (CEGEP) apply for freshman admission. (Students must be enrolled in twelve academic courses, not including physical education.) A high level of academic achievement is required. Students who complete a full academic (non-vocational) CEGEP program (two or three years) may apply for freshman admission with advanced standing. Advanced standing credit will not exceed 30 credit hours.
All other Provinces
Completion of the secondary school program and achievement of a high standard (usually top 10% of the class) are required for freshman application. Students may apply during the senior year.
Completion of the senior secondary school program is required for freshman application. Students may apply during the senior year. Transcripts must be officially issued by the senior secondary school and submitted by the school in the original language along with official English translations.  Prior to enrollment, an officially certified copy of the Gaokao or Huikao, along with an official English translation, is required. If the Gaokao is not taken, the Huikao, or four different academic Advanced Placement (AP) exams (including one social science subject) if in an AP curriculum, should be submitted in lieu of the Gaokao, unless the student is submitting three to four British-patterned full Advanced Level examinations, an International Baccalaureate Diploma, a Canadian high school diploma or another international high school graduation credential. Students who have completed high school as well as university transfer applicants are required to submit a certificate of high school graduation showing actual graduation date along with English translation in addition to the final high school transcript and English translation showing grades for all three years of high school. University transfer applicants must also arrange for an official university transcript report to be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by the China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC), 18th Floor, B-17, Tongfang Scientific Plaza, No.1, Wangzhuang Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100083, China, Tel: 86-10-82379480, Fax: 86-10-82378718, , Website: Transfer applicants are also required to submit course descriptions to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for all university coursework taken when applying. Please note that courses which are determined to transfer are converted for transfer as two-thirds (.66).
Students holding a national secondary school leaving certificate of high standard may be considered for freshman admission. Specifics for each country are listed below. In addition to the credentials listed below, the “European Baccalaureate” is also acceptable. Please note: Due to the release date of national examinations, students are expected to be enrolled in programs preparing them for these examinations. Students who are in the final year of preparation may apply for freshman admission. These applicants must request the predicted results of any external examination, along with school marks, to be sent to U-M.
Austria: Reifezeugnis; Matura
Belgium: Certificat de Enseignement Secondaire Superieur; Diploma Secundair
Bulgaria: Diploma za Zavarsheno, Sredno Obrazovanie
Commonwealth of Independent States: Matura/Attestat o Srednem (Polnom) Oschchem Obrazovanii
Cyprus: Apolytirion; Lise Diplomasi; GCSE
Czech Republic: Maturitni Zkouska; Vysvedceni
Denmark: Studentereksamen; Hojere Forberedelseseksamen; Hojere Handelseksamen; Hojere Teknisk Eksamen
Finland: Ylioppilastutkintotodistus; Studentexamensbetyg
France: see section “French-Patterned Education.” Limited advanced standing credit may be awarded for appropriate subjects with acceptable exam scores of ten or above on the baccalaureate when the coefficient is at least four.
Germany: Abitur (Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife). Advanced standing of seven to eight credits may be given for certain exams taken in appropriate Abitur (Leistungskurse Prufungsfacher) subjects with acceptable exam scores of seven or above.
Greece: Apolytirio Eniaiou Lykeiou
Hungary: (Matura) Gimnaziumi Erettsegi Bizonyitvany
Iceland: Studentsprof. Advanced standing of up to 30 semester credits may be awarded on a subject-by-subject basis for exam scores of six or better on the studentsprof.
Italy: Diploma di maturità/di Esame di Stato
Luxembourg: Diplome de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires
Netherlands: Diploma from antheneum, gymnasium, H.B.S., lyceum or V.W.O.
Norway: Vitnemal from upper secondary. Limited advanced standing credit may be given for certain “branch” subjects in which a national written or spoken exam was taken with scores of five or six. If the “Examen Philosophicum” is taken, nine credits may be awarded for an acceptable score.
Poland: Swiadectwo Dojrzalosci; Matura
Portugal: Diploma de Ensino Secundario
Romania: Diploma de Bacalaureat
Scotland: Scottish Qualifications Certificate (SQC), at least four higher level subjects
Spain: Titulo de Bachiller or Curso de Orientation Universitaria (C.O.U.)
Sweden: Avgangsbetyg; Slutbetyg fran Gymnasieskola
Switzerland: Maturitätszeugnis; certificat de maturité; attestato di maturità. U-M offers some one-year renewable scholarships for international students who are Swiss students. The amount varies depending on the number of students who apply, plus need and merit considerations. Inquire to: University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid, 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson St., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1316, USA
Turkey: Lise Diplomasi
United Kingdom: see section “British-Patterned Education.”
Yugoslavian-Patterned Education
(Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, and Slovenia.) Matura; Svjedocanstvo-Svjedodzba o o Zavrsenom Obrazovanju (Serbian)
French-Patterned Education
(France, Middle East, Africa, Caribbean area.) In general, completion of the baccalaureate and achievement of a high standard of bien is required for freshman application. Nevertheless, because of varying standards, students from certain countries possessing an overall assez bien average will be considered. Students may apply during the senior year. Applicants from most countries will not qualify for advanced standing credit.
A certificate representing 12 years of academic education (excluding pre-school or kindergarten years) with an equivalent of first division achievement in senior secondary school is required for freshman application. (Examples: All India Senior School Certificate, Indian School Certificate, Delhi Senior School Certificate, Higher Secondary Certificate). Consideration for transfer admission requires official, externally-issued university mark sheets with First Division achievement for each year of study. These must be sent directly by the “Controller of Examinations.”
STK SMP or STTB diploma from an SMA high school. Students may apply during the senior year.
International Baccalaureate
Students who have completed an International Baccalaureate program should apply at the freshman level. Students may apply during the senior year. Students may be given advanced standing credit for examinations passed at the Higher Level only. No advanced standing credit is granted for Standard or Subsidiary Level Examinations. Predicted IB results are needed if exams have not yet been taken. For more information, click here
Note: U-M is a Davis Foundation United World College Program member and annually offers a renewable scholarship to a graduate of a United World College. Learn more here
Latin America
Application at the freshman level is permitted if the student can present an average of sobresaliente, excelente, or muy bueno on the bachillerato or comparable certificate. Students may apply during the senior year.
U-M offers some one-year renewable scholarships for international students who are Guatemalan students. The amount varies depending on the number of students who apply, plus need and merit considerations. Inquire to: University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid, 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson St., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1316, USA
Middle East
Completion of the national secondary school certificate examinations with marks at a high percentage is required for freshman application. (Examples: General Secondary School Certificate, Tawjihi, June written examinations.)
Israel: Bagrut Examination Scores and Certificate
New Zealand
NCEA Level 3 and any Level 4 results from New Zealand Qualification Authority.
In general, one year of well above average work in a recognized Philippine university is required for application. Official results of the National College Entrance Exam should also be submitted.