Enrollment Deposit


  • Dec
    Winter Term Deposit Due
  • Apr
    Spring Term Deposit Due
  • May
    Summer Term Deposit Due
  • May
    Fall Term Deposit Due

As a freshman or a new transfer student admitted for winter, spring, summer, or fall, you’ll need to pay close attention to some important information and guidelines regarding your enrollment deposit.

If You Intend to Enroll

You must submit your $300, nonrefundable enrollment deposit (EDR) by the appropriate deadline. The deposit is a down payment on your tuition. (Students with financial inability to pay may apply for an Enrollment Deposit Waiver - see complete instructions at bottom of page under "Students with Financial Inability to Pay the EDR.")

Step 1—Create Your “Friend Account”

To get the ball rolling, the first thing you’ll need to do is create a “Friend Account” which will enable you to login to Wolverine Access. Once you’ve done this, you’ll be able to move on getting your enrollment deposit paid.

Step 2—Pay Your Enrollment Deposit
  • Go to Wolverine Access - Students - New & Prospective Student Business and log in with your Friend email and password
  • Upon successful login, select Application Status and then click on View Decision
  • Hit the Respond Now button and follow the instructions on each of the following webpages
There are several ways to pay your deposit:

1. Enter your VISA, Mastercard, Discover or American Express credit card number, or your U.S. checking or savings account routing number. The credit card or bank account that the funds are drawn from does not have to be in your name, but the funds must be drawn on a U.S. bank or agency. We are unable to accept money market or home equity accounts for online payments.

2. If you are paying by a check or money order (in U.S. dollars), make it payable to The University of Michigan, and mail it, along with the completed Enrollment Deposit Request form, to the University of Michigan. Please note that although the bank account the funds are drawn from does not need to be in your name, the funds must be drawn on a U.S. bank or agency. Many international banks have a corresponding U.S. bank, in which case you can request to have a draft drawn on a U.S. bank in U.S. funds. The Enrollment Deposit Request form may be found on your Wolverine Access New & Prospective Student Center. If you're not able to log in to Wolverine Access, we can email you a copy of the form. The easiest way to request the form is to submit an online request. Please use the subject line "EDR Form" and include your full name, UMID, and full mailing address. Submit your payment by mail to:

University of Michigan
Student Financial Operations
515 East Jefferson Street
2226 Student Activities Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

3. Finally, if you are unable to pay by credit card, eCheck, paper check or money order, you may pay by bank-to-bank wire transfer. However, please note that it can take one to two weeks before a wire transfer is credited to your account and there will be an extra charge by the bank to process the transfer. Please contact our office if you choose this method so that we can explain the requirements, and ensure that the payment goes into the student account properly. If you are paying by international wire transfer, please visit peerTransfer's website and follow the instructions on how to make a wire transfer payment.

Enrollment Deposit Deadlines

If you’re mailing your payment, the EDR form must be postmarked by the following deadlines:

Winter 2019—December 1, 2018
Spring 2019—April 1, 2019
Summer 2019—May 1, 2019
Fall 2019—May 1, 2019

Note: If your admission package arrives too close to the above due dates, we’ll establish an extended due date for you.

The Enrollment Deposit is nonrefundable from the time it is submitted. Failure to enroll for the admitted term will result in forfeiture of the $300 deposit.

The EDR form alone, facsimiles of the check, or calls to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions are not sufficient to hold a place at U-M. Because of space limitations, deposits and EDR forms postmarked after the deadline may not be accepted and admission may be cancelled. Do not send the $300 deposit to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

If you’ve determined that Michigan isn’t the place for you, please cancel your admission by completing the online form on Wolverine Access by going to your New & Prospective Student Portal, selecting Application Status, and then clicking on View Decision, or complete the EDR form and return it to the Office of Admissions by the deadline so we can make the necessary changes to our records.

Cancellations must be made in writing; we cannot take them over the phone. This will prevent any inappropriate mailings. Mail the EDR form with the “cancel” box checked, without the $300 deposit, to:

University of Michigan
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
515 East Jefferson Street
1220 Student Activities Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316


The $300 enrollment deposit (EDR) payment is a deposit toward your student tuition and fees when you enroll at the University. If your $300 is waived, this amount will be included in your first tuition bill.

If you are unable to pay the $300 enrollment deposit by the deadline, you must submit a written explanation of the circumstances preventing payment to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for consideration prior to the EDR deadline. You may submit your explanation through this online request. Please use "EDR Waiver" as the subject line and include the following information in your request:

Your full name
Your University of Michigan Identification Number (UMID)
The school or college to which you have been admitted (i.e., LSA)
The term into which you have been admitted (i.e., Fall 2018)
The academic level you were admitted into (i.e., Freshman)
Explanation of the circumstances preventing payment.

Please note, EDR waivers will not be considered or granted until you have received a financial aid award. You will need to complete the financial aid application, including both the FAFSA and CSS Profile, to receive an award to be considered for an enrollment deposit waiver. Please see information regarding the financial aid application process here. Students who have not received a financial aid package prior to the enrollment decision (EDR) deadline should contact the Office of Financial Aid. If a package estimate is not available, students can request an extension of the EDR deadline to receive and review the financial aid award before requesting a waiver. Additionally, the request must come from the admitted student directly. We cannot consider requests from parents, guardians, or school officials.

If you have any questions about the EDR waiver request process, please call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 734-764-7433. Please check our business hours here.