Transfer Next Steps


  • May
    Enrollment deposit deadline for Fall term

Congratulations! By now you’ve received your Admission letter and are ready to think about your next steps to becoming a Wolverine. Follow the steps below to ensure a smooth transtition to the University of Michigan. 

Enrollment Deposits
The enrollment deposit secures your space in the class.
Financial Aid
Whether it’s scholarships, grants, or connecting students to federal aid, U-M has numerous resources and ways to help eligible students and their families.
Pay $300 Enrollment Deposit

You can do this online using application status. Once you pay your Enrollment Deposit, you’ll be guaranteed a space in your class. You will also be able to access your U-M email account and sign up for orientation and housing. Students with financial inability to pay may request an Enrollment Deposit (EDR) Waiver.

If you are unable to pay the $300 Enrollment Deposit (EDR), you must submit a written request for an EDR Waiver via Enrollment Connect by clicking the Request EDR Waiver or Extension button under the Application menu. Your request should be made no later than your posted Enrollment Deposit deadline.

If you have questions about the enrollment deposit waiver or extension process, please email

Timeline: Please follow the deadlines outlined in your specific admissions letter

(U.S. citizens and permanent residents only)

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

This will enable you to be considered for need-based federal and state grants, scholarships, loans, and Work-Study. U-M’s federal school code is 002325.

Timeline: After October 1

Complete the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Financial Aid PROFILE

Fill out this form to be considered for need-based University grants and scholarships. U-M’s CSS code is 1839.

Timeline: After October 1

Receive Your Financial Aid Award Notice

On a rolling basis, you will be notified by email when your financial aid award notice will be available to view/print on Wolverine Access (a password-protected University website). You will need a U-M uniqname and password or a “Friend Account” to access your award notice online. Complete and return any forms or requested information as soon as possible.

Timeline: Mid-March

Be Aware of the Final FAFSA and PROFILE Deadline

The University’s Office of Financial Aid must receive your FAFSA and PROFILE records by the date below to consider you for all aid programs.

Timeline: March 31

Learn About University Scholarships for Transfer Students

The Current Student Scholarship in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts is available for transfer students in their first fall and winter terms of enrollment. These scholarships are based on financial need. See details about the LS&A scholarship here.

U-M also offers two scholarships specifically for select transfer students from Michigan community colleges:

  • Michigan Community College Scholarship
  • Michigan Community College Scholar Award

To be considered for these scholarships, students must apply for financial aid. For more details about these opportunities, click here to download a PDF brochure about these programs.

Receive Email from Office of New Student Programs

Check U-M email account for information regarding Orientation and registration.

Timeline: Beginning mid-April or 2-3 weeks after sending enrollment deposit.

Complete your University Mentorship Program Application

Our University Mentorship Program offers yet another way to find guidance. Attend the orientation MLC session to learn more.

Timeline: Between April and July

Attend Orientation

Attend an Orientation session and register for classes. At this time, you will plan your schedule with an academic advisor. If you have questions about placement exams, scheduling classes, or need to change your orientation date, please contact the Office of New Student Programs

Timeline: Early June through mid-August for fall term.

Receive your Official U-M Welcome

Look for “Welcome to Michigan” information in your inbox.

Timeline: Early August

Transfer students are accommodated on a space-available basis at the time the residence hall application is considered. You may want to consult the extensive up-to-date information on off-campus housing available at the University Housing website.

If you’re interested in living on campus:

Turn in Residence Hall & Michigan Learning Communities Applications

You can find these applications including tentative room and board and apartment rate schedules, online once you’ve paid/waived enrollment deposit fees.

Timeline: Beginning mid-April

Complete Residence Hall Application

This application must be submitted by specified date in order to be part of room assignment lottery—so don’t hesitate. Applications received after this date will be considered for available spaces based on date application received.

Timeline: Early May

Receive your Residence Hall Placement

Residence hall placements provided to incoming students as assignments are processed. Roommate information is sent at the start of August along with specifics about residence hall move-in.

Timeline: July-August

Make your Fall Term Room and Board Payment

Fall term payment for room and board due (unless you are on an extended payment plan).

Timeline: August 31

To transfer non-U-M credits, you need to ask the registrar of your current/previous school to send official transcripts (with all course work posted) directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If a final transcript is not available at the time of admission or when you are planning to transfer, you will receive a tentative evaluation of transferable credits prior to Orientation. A copy will also be given to the academic advisors to assist you during Orientation and registration. Evaluation of most professional credits is made during and shortly after registration week by the Schools and Colleges in which you are enrolling. General course equivalency information is available.

If you are currently an F-1 visa holder who has studied at another institution in the United States within the last 5 months, we require an additional form in addition to the FRS and supporting financial documentation. The Transfer-In Form is composed of two sections to be filled out by you and your current school's DSO (Designated School Official) or International Student Advisor (ISA). This form should be completed and submitted along with the FRS and your supporting financial documents.

Admitted international students have unique eligibility requirements. Please see the below for specific guidelines: