Transfer Credit


  • Feb
    Application Deadline

To successfully transfer into the University of Michigan, you will have to demonstrate that your course of study is balanced on a foundation of general education courses that fulfill basic requirements and provide grounding in prerequisites or required courses that enable you to focus on a particular major at Michigan.

In order for your course work to be considered transferable to the University of Michigan, it must meet the following criteria:

  • You have completed course work at an accredited college or university.
  • The work that you have completed at your previous/current institution(s) is of similar rigor and content to the course offerings available at Michigan. 
  • You have earned a grade of C or better while completing it.
Transfer Credit Equivalency
Find out how your existing coursework transfers to U-M.

When transferring courses, you will typically receive the number of semester hours of credit (i.e., quarter hours converted to semester hours) earned on the campus(es) in which you took them. This is true, regardless of the number of credit hours similar courses may be worth at Michigan. Individual academic units may have limits on the number of transferable credits. Please check with the school or college in which you are interested.

International students should be aware that international credits are converted to U-M credit, and the credit earned may be different from what is listed on the original transcript. 

Equivalent Credit

Courses you’ve completed at other colleges and universities that closely match courses taught at U-M will usually transfer as “equivalent credit.” These courses will appear on your University of Michigan transcript with a U-M course number assigned.

Departmental Credit

Courses you’ve taken at other colleges and universities that do not match courses in the same departments on our campus may transfer as “departmental credit.” Departmental credit, while transferable and usually applicable as elective credit, may only be used toward meeting distribution or concentration requirements with the permission of an academic or concentration advisor.

Interdepartmental Credit

Courses that cover a broad range of topics within a general area of study are considered “interdepartmental credit.” These are courses that, because of the scope of their subject material, cannot be assigned to any individual academic department. Like departmental credit, interdepartmental credit is usually applicable as elective credit. It also must be approved by an academic or major advisor if it is to be used toward distribution* or major requirements.

Distribution Area Examples

Humanities: literature, philosophy, fine arts
Social Science: history, political science, psychology, sociology
Natural Science: biology, chemistry, physics
Mathematical and Symbolic Analysis: computer science, mathematics, statistics, linguistics
Creative Expression: film, music, theater and drama

For more information:

The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor is conservative in awarding credit for learning experiences at military schools and may award credits for military courses completed if the courses are consistent with University policy on granting credit when there is an equivalent course taught at U-M Ann Arbor. The amount and level of credit given is determined by the faculty in the appropriate University department.

Applicants should submit transcript(s) from the Defense Language Institute (DLI) and/or a joint services transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation and notification of transfer credit available.

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts

LSA does not grant credit toward graduation for any courses offered through the Officer Graduation Program except for those courses that are cross-listed in other academic units (effective September 1, 1971) or courses that have a University Course cross-listing. These latter courses count as non-LSA course work if the cross-listed offering falls outside LSA academic departments or programs.

The College of Engineering

The College of Engineering’s acceptance of cross-listed course work can vary depending on the engineering degree program and specific elements relative to the respective degree.

For additional military questions, please visit or contact Phil Larson, Program Director for the Student Veterans Assistance Program, at