Transfer Students

The University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions handles transfers for the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and the College of Engineering. For information about transferring to other U-M schools and colleges, please contact their admissions representatives directly.

A successful U-M transfer student to the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA):

  • Is currently in good academic and social standing.
  • Has a distinguished record of college work, earning a cumulative GPA of at least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better.
  • Has earned sophomore (30+ credits) or junior standing (55-60 credits) with transferable credit earned at a community college or another two- or four-year college or university.

Additional information for LSA transfer students can be found here

A successful U-M transfer student to the College of Engineering will have completed prerequisite courses at their current school with a minimum GPA (which will vary by department and may change at any time).

Non-native speakers of English must provide proof of English proficiency.

NOTE: If you have attended any institution of higher education (on any basis, for any length of time) following graduation from high school, you will need to apply as a transfer applicant and submit official transcripts from all of the colleges that you have attended. If you are admitted to U-M, you can choose whether to use your previous colleges' credit to satisfy graduation requirements from the University of Michigan.

Attend a Virtual Transfer Tuesday

Students interested in learning more about transferring to U-M are invited to register for a Virtual Transfer Tuesday session. Transfer Tuesdays provide opportunities to learn about admissions requirements and speak with current transfer students.

Register to attend a Virtual Transfer Tuesday

Requirements & Deadlines
Review all our admission requirements and deadlines.
Transfer Credit
In order for your course work to be considered transferable to the University of Michigan, it must meet these certain criteria.
Community College Students
Resources for Community College Students wishing to transfer to U-M.
Find Your Undergraduate Admissions Counselor
Transfer students are assigned admissions counselors based on the first letter of their last name.

With more than 1,500 student groups on campus, there are endless opportunties and events that allow you to meet other students with similar interests.