Thumbs up

In making your plans to enroll at the University of Michigan and to better manage your process, the following estimated costs and fees will help you determine you and your family’s potential financial plans. In addition, you can use the U-M Net Price Calculator to get an early estimate of your full-time cost of attendance and financial aid at U-M.

Our application fee is $75. You may request a fee waiver on the Common Application or the Coalition Application.  

Tuition rates are unique to U-M schools and colleges, and depend on whether an undergraduate student is a freshman/sophomore or a junior/senior. 

2019-20 Tuition and Fees

LSA freshman/sophomore

Non-Resident: $51,200*

LSA junior/senior

Resident: $17,522
Non-Resident: $54,794*
*International Student Fee: $500 per semester for F & J visa holders

Housing and Meals

Standard Double $11,996
Note: Fees vary based on room type selected and assigned. There is no resident/non-resident distinction in the university’s housing fees. 

Books and Supplies

Note: these costs include all potential books, supplies, learning technology and other resources you might need. Because they vary, the figure above represents an average number and is subject to change.

Cost Calculator
Use the U-M Net Price Calculator to get an early estimate of your full-time cost of attendance and financial aid at U-M.
Tuition & Fees
Visit the Registrar's Office for information about tuition and fees by school or college.

Detailed guidelines for qualifying for in-state tuition are available from the U-M Office of the Registrar. These guidelines provide an alternative test for establishing in-state tuition eligibility based on attendance at Michigan high schools and Michigan middle or junior high schools, and matriculation at the university within 40 months of high school. For more information, visit the Registrar's website.

Most financial aid, including federal, state and institutional aid, requires recipients to be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens. There is limited U-M need-based financial aid for undocumented students. For application information, contact the U-M Office of Financial Aid at 734-763-6600 or email

You may wish to visit the "5 Steps to Scholarships" page for a list of recommended scholarship searches. Check for opportunities that may be available through your admitting school or college. In addition, the website offers background, resources and other information for undocumented students: A full web resource list for undocumented students can be found below.

Following are key contacts in these areas at U-M for additional questions:

For questions about residency:

Janet Cruz, Residency Classification Coordinator
U-M Office of the Registrar, Residency Classification Office
1210 LS&A Building, 500 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Tel: (734) 764-1400


For questions about applying to the University:

Erica Sanders, Director
U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1220 Student Activities Bldg., 515 E. Jefferson St.
Tel: (734) 764-7433

Monique Washington, Director of Graduate School Admissions
Rackham Graduate School
1020 Rackham Bldg., 915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1070
Tel: (734) 647-8017


For questions about financial aid:

Kristin Bhaumik, Assistant Director for Financial Wellness
U-M Office of Financial Aid, 2500 Student Activities Bldg. 
515 E. Jefferson St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Tel: (734) 763-6600

Vickie Crupper, Associate Director for Client Services
U-M Office of Financial Aid, 2500 Student Activities Bldg. 
515 E. Jefferson St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Tel: (734) 763-6600


Web resource list:

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) presidental order in June 2012 allows certain eligible undocumented young people to request deferred action and temporary relief from deportation. Discussions are continuing at the federal legislative level and in some states about the DREAM Act (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors), which would provide a pathway to citizenship for undocumented youth. More information about these can be found at the following websites:

Undergraduate students at U-M can earn a minor in sustainability through the Program in the Environment.