Start Your Journey


Once you've made the decision to become a Wolverine, you will need to apply to one specific school or college, or for dual enrollment in two schools or colleges.

The seven units that admit freshmen include:

All applicants follow the same basic steps to apply to U-M (although there are variations for transfer and international students). First, you need to fill out and submit either the Common Application or Coalition Application. Please note that both application options include specific University of Michigan questions, and there is no advantage to submitting one over the other.

Freshman Applicants
From here you can find all the information you need to make an in-depth, complete, and successful application package.
Transfer Students
We continually seek the leaders and best, with transfer students being an integral part of our campus community. 
International Students
At both the undergraduate and graduate level, our students come from 122 countries, representing a highly diverse global community. 
Admitted Students
No matter what kind of information and resources you need to make your transition to U-M — you can find it here.

Application Tips

We want to ensure that you are able to complete your application to the University of Michigan. Here are some common questions and concerns.

For technical questions about the Common Application or Coalition Application, please contact the Help Center. Before you contact them, you may wish to check the Common App's known issues page or the Coalition App's frequently asked questions.

Questions about the U-M Questions, our schools and colleges, or any other admissions matter can be directed to the University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 734-764-7433.

Once you submit the Common App, the Common App Dashboard allows you to track and manage your progress.  Select Dashboard and click on the University of Michigan to see whether the elements of our application are complete. Once the dashboard shows a green check mark for U-M, we will be able to download your application.  You will receive an email confirmation from us within 1 week of our download of your application.

If you opt to submit the Coalition App, you receive a confirmation page when it is successfully submitted. At any time after submitting the application, you can look at your college list, and you should see a status of ‘Submitted’ next to the college name, and a "View Submission" button.

For the Common App, there is a difference between inviting a recommender and assigning one. Inviting involves entering the recommender's name and email address. To assign, you must select the "assign" button at the bottom of the Assign Recommenders page. This assignment must be done before teachers and other recommenders can see a student on their list. 

For the Coalition App, there is a difference between adding/requesting a recommender/transcript and using the document for your application. After adding/requesting you must click “Use For This Application.” It’s also possible that the counselor simply hasn’t completed the request. If you need to change your recommender, view your submitted app from the "Colleges" section, find the desired recommendation/transcript in the "Official Documents" section, and click the "Replace button."

No, we strongly prefer that documents be submitted through the Common Application. These documents are automatically connected to your application. Duplicate documents sent via other means will burden the review process and slow down your decision.

If it has been less than five days since the application was submitted, wait until five days have passed and then check again in Web App Status.

Students who encounter this problem can click on "Technical Support" within the "Help" menu. From there, you can choose to open a help ticket.

Applicants completing the Common App who have DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status will need to select "Other" for your citizenship status. List your citizenship and select "Other Visa Type" from the "Currently held United States Visa" selection. Since deferred action does not provide an individual with lawful status please complete the rest of the fields.

Applicants completing the Coalition App who have DACA status will need to select "No" to "US Citizen," "No" to "U.S. Permanent Resident or Refugee," and "No" to the "Do You Hold a Current US Visa?" question. A DACA question will then be displayed.