The University of Michigan welcomes the application and enrollment of undocumented students – as well as students who receive benefits under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program – who are academically excellent and accomplished in extracurricular endeavors. 

For more information on the DACA program and its rescission, which was effective September 5, 2017, please visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s website.

Applying to U-M as a DACA or undocumented student

First-year applicants and transfer applicants should visit their respective sections on the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website for details about requirements and deadlines, AP/IB or transfer credit, our selection process, and more. Applicants may complete the Common Application. If you do not have a Social Security Number, leave that field blank on the application.

  • Applicants completing the Common App who are undocumented or who receive DACA benefits should select “DACA, undocumented, Deferred Enforced Departure, or Temporary Protected Status” for citizenship status.

Applicants with extenuating circumstances may be eligible for a waiver of the $75 application fee. You can apply for a fee waiver by going to the U-M specific portion of the application, and checking "Family Situation" or "Other." 

For assistance with applying to the University of Michigan as an undocumented or DACA student, contact Jody Gore in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at [email protected].

Student guide

View the You Belong Here: DACAmented & Undocumented Student Guide.

Financial aid opportunities for DACA and undocumented students

To learn about the financial aid application and eligibility process at the University of Michigan, contact Krissy Bhaumik, associate director for advising & eligibility in the Office of Financial Aid at [email protected]. You may also call the office during business hours at 734-763-6600.

Most financial aid, including federal, state and other institutional aid sources, requires recipients to be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens. Undocumented and DACA-mented students are ineligible to receive federal student aid and other aid sources that use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility.

For more information on financial aid opportunities, please visit the Office of Financial Aid's website.

Residency and tuition rates for DACA and undocumented students

As a DACA or undocumented student, in-state residency guidelines apply. You may qualify for in-state tuition rates at the University of Michigan by demonstrating all of the following:

  1. You attended an accredited Michigan high school for at least three years and thereafter (a) graduated from an accredited Michigan High School or (b) received a Michigan General Educational Development High School Equivalency Certificate (GED);
  2. You attended an accredited Michigan middle or junior high school for the two years preceding high school; and
  3. You are commencing your education at the University of Michigan within 40 months of graduating from the Michigan high school or receiving your GED.

To establish eligibility by demonstrating attendance at Michigan schools, you must accurately complete the Application for In-State Tuition on the Basis of Attendance. For more information and a link to the Application for In-State Tuition, visit the Office of the Registrar's website.

For residency questions, please contact Janet Cruz, assistant registrar for residency, at [email protected].

Additional support and resources available to enrolled DACA and undocumented students

The University of Michigan provides a number of free and readily accessible resources to support enrolled DACA and undocumented students. If you are a prospective or admitted student and have questions on topics other than undergraduate admissions, financial aid, and residency, contact Hector Galvan, Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives program manager, at [email protected].

Legal services

Student Legal Services (SLS) is a full-service law office and division within U-M Student Life that serves all members of the enrolled student body. It is committed to helping protect the rights of DACA and undocumented students to have an inclusive and safe education at the University of Michigan. The services are only available to currently enrolled students at the University of Michigan’s Ann Arbor campus. SLS will pay for a 1.5 hour consultation with an attorney. If the student needs more time, they will be responsible for any costs. Contact SLS at (734) 763-9920. 

The U-M Office of the General Counsel maintains a list of resources to assist individuals in identifying an immigration specialist who can assist with immigration legal needs. This list can be accessed on the Immigration FAQ webpage.

Mental health support

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is a division of U-M Student Life with a mission to foster the psychological development and emotional well-being of enrolled students through counseling and psychotherapy, preventive and educational programming, consultation, and outreach. CAPS is a confidential resource for mental health support. Without the student's written permission, confirmation of appointments and the release of the content of discussions with counselors - including immigration, visa, and resident status - cannot legally be disclosed to anyone outside of the CAPS staff.

The CAPS team includes a number of permanent staff members who identify as Latinx, as well as staff members who are able to provide therapy in various languages, if desired.