Requirements & Deadlines


  • Oct
    Winter Term Application Deadline
  • Nov
    Early Action for Freshmen Only
  • Dec
    Application Deadline for School of Music, Theatre & Dance only
  • Feb
    Fall Term Application Deadline

International students are valued members of the University of Michigan campus community. The wealth of global and cultural experience they bring adds significantly to the rich and varied tapestry of backgrounds they will find here. The University has a long history of engaging the world on many levels — as an international student, you help maintain and further our standing and deep connection with the global community.

How to Apply

The application process for international students at the University of Michigan is the same process all undergraduate students undertake, with a few key differences. The requirements may vary depending on your country of origin and specific educational history, particularly the type of transcript you will need to submit. 

Before you apply, it is important to note that international students on temporary visas are not eligible for financial aid, and are expected to pay the full cost of attendance. Few scholarships are available. 

Important Application Steps
  1. You must apply via the Common Application or Coalition Application, along with a $75 application fee (Please note that both application options include specific University of Michigan questions, and there is no advantage to submitting one over the other.)
  2. All undergraduate first-year applicants are required to submit test results from either the SAT or the ACT.
  3. Submit the School Report.
  4. Submit one Teacher Evaluation (academic teacher).
  5. Submit a Counselor Recommendation (encouraged, but not required).
  6. Submit your high school transcript. An official English translation is required to accompany the transcript if the transcript is not issued in English by the school. (Students who have already completed high school, including university transfer applicants, should be sure to have final high school transcript submitted showing the graduation date. Also provide a detailed explanation of any educational gaps.)
  7. If you are a speaker of English as a second language, you will need to submit your MELAB, TOEFL, or IELTS scores.
  8. Please note that international students on temporary visas are not eligible for financial aid, and should expect to pay the full cost of attendance. Scholarships are generally not available.   

Do not submit any extra documents unless specifically requested, as this may only delay your decision.

Your SAT/ACT test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency and received in our office by our deadline. Please plan ahead— rush paper scores are not accepted. Also note that if you plan to take the ACT or SAT in October, those scores will not arrive in time to complete your application for Early Action. If you have not yet had your scores reported, you can have them sent online using these links:

ACT (U-M Code is 2062)
SAT (U-M code is 1839)


As one who lives a great distance from Michigan and the United States, it’s important to submit your application, test scores, and related materials as soon as possible — ideally, long before you plan on attending the U-M. Your application materials will be reviewed once all of them have been received. Although deadlines vary by school, college, or program, some general deadlines to keep in mind include:

Fall—February 1
Early Action—November 1
Winter—October 1
Spring—February 1
Summer—February 1

Common Application
Completing the Common Application or Coalition Application is the first step in your application process.
Coalition Application
Completing the Common Application or Coalition Application is the first step in your application process.
TOEFL Testing
The TOEFL English-language test is recognized by more than 9,000 colleges and universities in more than 130 countries.
MELAB Testing
The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) evaluates advanced-level English language competence of adult nonnative speakers of English.
IELTS Assessments
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assesses the English language proficiency of people who want to study or work where English is the primary language.
Requirements by Country
Our requirements may differ depending on your home country. Review the requirements here.

Freshmen are allowed to apply to more than one school or college at a time, with certain limitations and guidelines. This allows you to choose paths and majors that reflect your interests and individuality.

Dual Applications

Preferred Admission is a way for a student to indicate an interest in later transferring to an upper-level program. Acceptance guarantees placement in the upper-level academic unit if the student meets certain prerequisites during freshman year at U-M. The prerequisites vary, of course, depending on which upper-level unit is chosen.

Preferred Admission (PA) within U-M is a two-step process:

1. A student must be admitted to a freshman-level school or college.

2. The student will then be evaluated for PA and — if selected — will later transfer into the upper-level unit. (If PA is not granted at this stage, the student is still admitted to U-M in their freshman unit.)

Preferred Admission

Any questions regarding requirements and selection criteria for preferred admission should be directed to the upper-level school or college to which the student has applied. Upper-level admitting units include:

Because the University of Michigan's winter term starts at the beginning of January and because the fall term in many countries does not end until late January or February, it may not be possible to apply for U-M's winter term. It is very important that any fall term courses you are enrolled in be completed. If your fall term does not end until some time in January or later, applying to U-M for our fall term which begins in early September (or in some cases summer term which begins at the end of June) would be the only option(s). If not enrolling during the winter term at your current university in your country, our U-M spring term which begins at the end of April may also be a possibility. 

Federal regulations and University of Michigan policy severely limit the types of financial assistance available to international students. University admissions policy requires that international students (those with F-1 and J-1 visas) have enough resources to meet their expenses. Students with these visas are not eligible for federal student aid. Scholarships are not generally available.