For questions regarding course work completed during the COVID-19 crisis, please visit this page.

To successfully transfer into the University of Michigan, you will have to demonstrate that your course of study is balanced on a foundation of courses that align with the distribution areas required to complete a degree within LSA and provide grounding in prerequisites or required courses that enable you to focus on a particular major at Michigan.

To successfully transfer into the College of Engineering (COE) at the University of Michigan, you will have to demonstrate that you have completed the required prerequisite courses set by the COE with a letter grade of a "C" or better, and a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0 or better, prior to your intended term of enrollment. If you have specific questions related to credit that will transfer to the College of Engineering, please utilize the College of Engineering course equivalency guide.

If you would like to transfer to another school/college at the University of Michigan, please refer to the requirements based on your interested school or college.

In order for your course work to be considered transferable to the University of Michigan, it must meet the following criteria:

  • You have completed course work at an accredited college or university.
  • The work that you have completed at your previous/current institution(s) is of similar rigor and content to the course offerings available at Michigan.
  • You have earned a grade of C or better while completing it.

Upon evaluation of your academic credentials, you can expect to receive one of the following types of transfer credit.

  • Equivalent Credit
    Courses that you have completed at other colleges and universities that closely match courses taught at U-M will usually transfer as “equivalent credit”. These courses will appear on your University of Michigan transcript with a U-M courses number assigned. These courses can be used to satisfy distribution and major requirement for LSA.
  • Departmental Credit
    Courses that you have completed at other colleges and universities that do not match courses in the same departments on our campus may transfer as “departmental credit”. Departmental credit, while transferable and usually applicable as elective credit, may only be used toward meeting distribution or concentration requirements with the permission of an academic or concentration advisor.
  • Interdepartmental Credit
    Courses that cover a broad range of topics within a general area of study are considered “interdepartmental credit.” These are courses that, because of the scope of their subject material, cannot be assigned to any individual academic department. Like departmental credit, interdepartmental credit is usually applicable as elective credit. It also must be approved by an academic or concentration advisor if it is to be used toward distribution or concentration requirements.
Important Dates
Oct 1

Winter Term Application Deadline
FAFSA Available
CSS Profile Available

Feb 1

Fall Term Application Deadline
Spring Half Term Application Deadline
Summer Half Term Application Deadline

May 1

Enrollment Deposit Deadline for Fall Term