What will transferrable courses earn?

When transferring courses, you will typically receive the number of semester hours of credit (i.e., quarter hours converted to semester hours) earned on the campus(es) in which you took them. This is true, regardless of the number of credit hours similar courses may be worth at Michigan. Individual academic units may have limits on the number of transferable credits. Please check with the school or college in which you are interested.

International students should be aware that international credits are converted to U-M credit, and the credit earned may be different from what is listed on the original transcript.


How are courses evaluated for transfer credit?

Equivalent Credit

Courses you’ve completed at other colleges and universities that closely match courses taught at U-M will usually transfer as “equivalent credit.” These courses will appear on your University of Michigan transcript with a U-M course number assigned.

Departmental Credit

Courses at other colleges and universities whose descriptions don't closely match courses in the same department on our campus. Departmental credit is transferable, but it is usually applicable as elective credit. Therefore, departmental credit may not be used to satisfy admissions prerequisite requirements. Additionally, departmental credit cannot be used to satisfy distribution requirements or major/minor requirements without the permission of an academic or major advisor within the school/college.

Interdepartmental Credit

Courses that cover a broad range of topics within a general area of study are considered “interdepartmental credit.” These are courses that, because of the scope of their subject material, cannot be assigned to any individual academic department. Like departmental credit, interdepartmental credit is usually applicable as elective credit. It also must be approved by an academic or major advisor if it is to be used toward distribution* or major requirements.

Distribution Area Examples

Humanities: literature, philosophy, fine arts
Social Science: history, political science, psychology, sociology
Natural Science: biology, chemistry, physics
Mathematical and Symbolic Analysis: computer science, mathematics, statistics, linguistics
Creative Expression: film, music, theater and drama

For more information:

Transfer credit is awarded using the guidelines and rules established by each academic department within each of our Schools and Colleges on campus. Each student's academic record is looked at individually because students will have different factors involved in the evaluation of their credit (previous coursework, school or college enrolled, academic major/minor elected, AP/IB credit, etc.) All of these factors are considered as our Credit Evaluation Team reviews the coursework to determine if and how transfer credit can be awarded. Therefore, if you do not agree with your credit evaluation for any reason, you must pursue this with your Academic Advisor, after which you can also make an appeal through the Academic Standards Board.


Questions about transferring your Military Education Credits?

The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is conservative in awarding credit for learning experiences at military schools and may award credits for military courses completed if the courses are consistent with university policy on granting credit when there is an equivalent course taught at UM-Ann Arbor. The amount and level of credit given is determined by the faculty in the appropriate university department.

Applicants should submit transcript(s) from the Defense Language Institute (DLI) and/or a joint services transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation and notification of transfer credit available.

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts

LSA does not grant credit toward graduation for any courses offered through the Officer Graduation Program except for those courses that are cross-listed in other academic units (effective September 1, 1971) or courses that have a University Course cross-listing. These latter courses count as non-LSA course work if the cross-listed offering falls outside LSA academic departments or programs.

The College of Engineering

The College of Engineering’s acceptance of cross-listed course work can vary depending on the engineering degree program and specific elements relative to the respective degree.

For additional military questions, please visit the Veteran & Military Services website or contact Phil Larson, program director for the Student Veterans Assistance Program, at [email protected].


When is transfer credit evaluated?

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will send you an email within 48 hours confirming receipt of your transcripts once they are received and processed by our office. In order to expedite the time it takes to process and evaluate your credit we strongly encourage electronic submission of your transcripts. Transcripts can be sent electronically by a School Official through the Common Application or via email to [email protected]. Please note, credit can not be evaluated or posted using unofficial or student copies of transcripts.

Due to the volume of applications we receive and review, a pre-evaluation of transfer credit for prospective students is not a service that we are able to provide. However, many courses have already been previously evaluated for transfer credit and are posted for your reference in our transfer equivalency database.

Students admitted to the University of Michigan will receive a tentative evaluation of their transfer credit within six weeks of receiving an offer of admission. This evaluation will be based upon the courses reported on the official transcripts provided at the time of application. If an applicant would like additional work completed in subsequent terms to be evaluated, an additional official transcript that includes the final grades for this coursework must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Transcripts can be sent electronically to [email protected].

Enrolled University of Michigan students who wish to take courses outside of the university that are required for degree or graduation requirements are strongly encouraged to select courses from our transfer equivalency database that have already been evaluated and determined to be eligible for course equivalent transfer credit. You may access the transfer equivalency database.

If you are an enrolled student and have a need to take a class outside of the university that is not listed in the transfer equivalency database you may submit a Transfer Credit Equivalency Form to have the out-of-resident courses pre-evaluated for credit. Please note, that you should expect that it can take up to six weeks from the date of submission to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to receive the evaluation requested. Therefore, students are encouraged to plan accordingly and should submit this form and the required course catalog descriptions at least six weeks prior to the start of the term in which they hope to enroll in the coursework.

Enrolled University of Michigan students who are submitting official transcripts for the evaluation of coursework done outside of the university for credit should expect that it can take up to six weeks for the credit to be evaluated and posted. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions receives a very high volume of transfer credit to evaluate at the start of each term and transcripts are reviewed in the date order in which they were received by the office. Once credit has been evaluated it will be posted and available for you to review on Wolverine Access through your unofficial transcript. Therefore, students planning to use these courses for required pre-requisites or graduation requirements for the upcoming term are strongly encouraged to have the work pre-evaluated and they should request their transcripts as soon as possible to expedite the posting of the needed coursework/credit. Transcripts can be sent electronically to [email protected].