Requirements & Deadlines
1Winter Term Application Deadline
1Fall Term Application Deadline, Spring Half Term Application Deadline, Summer Half Term Application Deadline
1Enrollment deposit deadline for Fall term
Students applying to transfer must be in good standing, both academically and socially, at the institution(s) attended. The University of Michigan considers the college grade point average, the quality and quantity of transferable college credit, TOEFL/MELAB scores (if applicable), and the quality of high school credentials (including grades, strength of curriculum, and standardized test scores) during the transfer review process. The closer a student is to having 60 transferable credits, the less the student's high school work will be used in the evaluation.
In addition, there are specific admissions requirements for individual schools and colleges. Please refer to the links found at the bottom of this page for more information.
All LSA transfer students are required to submit the following prior to the deadline date:
- Completed Common Application or Coalition Application, along with $75 application fee or fee waiver request* (Please note that both application options include specific University of Michigan questions, and there is no advantage to submitting one over the other.)
- Final official high school/secondary school record, including 9th-12th grades and graduation date
- GED results, if applicable
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions including college transcripts from any dual enrollment courses (We require an explanation for any Ws, Is, or gaps in education. Please provide this explanation in the "additional information" section of The Common Application.)
- List of all current and future courses
- Required test scores: ACT with writing or SAT with writing if taken as a high school student; and MELAB, TOEFL, IELTS if English is not your first language
- Optional unless requested: Academic Evaluator/Instructor recommendation, college report, and midyear report
* We do not send a notification of approval or denial of the fee waiver request. If the waiver is denied, you will receive a $75 bill from us.
Successful candidates usually will present a distinguished record of college study, earning a cumulative GPA of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better. In those schools/colleges where the number of applications exceed available spaces (e.g., College of Literature, Science, and the Arts), admission is highly competitive.
Our competitive LSA applicants will have completed coursework in the following disciplines: English Composition, Natural Science, Social Science, Foreign Language, Humanities, and Math.
If you took the ACT or SAT as a high school student, we require that you send those scores to the University so they can be evaluated as part of your transfer application; please have the scores sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions from the testing agency. If you have not yet had your scores reported to the University of Michigan, you may request to have them sent online using these links:
Rush paper scores are not accepted.
If you did not take the ACT or SAT as a high school student, these scores will not be required as part of your transfer application to the University of Michigan and you should not sit for the exams as a college student.
MELAB, TOEFL, or IELTS test scores are required of all speakers of English as a second language. Please see the exams and visas page for required score ranges.
Admissions requirements vary based on the school or college you will be applying to. Please visit these websites for more information:
Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning
Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
School of Dentistry - Dental Hygiene Program
School of Education
College of Engineering
School of Information
School of Kinesiology
College of Literature, Science, & the Arts
School of Music, Theatre & Dance
School of Nursing
College of Pharmacy
School of Public Health
Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy (Internal candidates only)