Transfer Credit


  • Oct
    Winter Term Application Deadline
  • Oct
    FAFSA available
  • Feb
    Fall Term Application Deadline, Spring Half Term Application Deadline, Summer Half Term Application Deadline
  • May
    Enrollment deposit deadline for Fall term

To successfully transfer into the University of Michigan, you will have to demonstrate that your course of study is balanced on a foundation of general education courses that fulfill basic requirements and provide grounding in prerequisites or required courses that enable you to focus on a particular major at Michigan.

In order for your course work to be considered transferable to the University of Michigan, it must meet the following criteria:

  • You have completed course work at an accredited college or university.
  • The work that you have completed at your previous/current institution(s) is of similar rigor and content to the course offerings available at Michigan. 
  • You have earned a grade of C or better while completing it.
Transfer Credit Equivalency
Find out how your existing coursework transfers to U-M.

When transferring courses, you will typically receive the number of semester hours of credit (i.e., quarter hours converted to semester hours) earned on the campus(es) in which you took them. This is true, regardless of the number of credit hours similar courses may be worth at Michigan. Individual academic units may have limits on the number of transferable credits. Please check with the school or college in which you are interested.

International students should be aware that international credits are converted to U-M credit, and the credit earned may be different from what is listed on the original transcript. 

Equivalent Credit

Courses you’ve completed at other colleges and universities that closely match courses taught at U-M will usually transfer as “equivalent credit.” These courses will appear on your University of Michigan transcript with a U-M course number assigned.

Departmental Credit

Courses you’ve taken at other colleges and universities that do not match courses in the same departments on our campus may transfer as “departmental credit.” Departmental credit, while transferable and usually applicable as elective credit, may only be used toward meeting distribution or concentration requirements with the permission of an academic or concentration advisor.

Interdepartmental Credit

Courses that cover a broad range of topics within a general area of study are considered “interdepartmental credit.” These are courses that, because of the scope of their subject material, cannot be assigned to any individual academic department. Like departmental credit, interdepartmental credit is usually applicable as elective credit. It also must be approved by an academic or major advisor if it is to be used toward distribution* or major requirements.

Distribution Area Examples

Humanities: literature, philosophy, fine arts
Social Science: history, political science, psychology, sociology
Natural Science: biology, chemistry, physics
Mathematical and Symbolic Analysis: computer science, mathematics, statistics, linguistics
Creative Expression: film, music, theater and drama

For more information:

Transfer credit is awarded using the guidelines and rules established by each academic department within each of our Schools and Colleges on campus. Each student's academic record is looked at individually because students will have different factors involved in the evaluation of their credit (previous coursework, school or college enrolled, academic major/minor elected, AP/IB credit, etc.) All of these factors are considered as our Credit Evaluation Team reviews the coursework to determine if and how transfer credit can be awarded. Therefore, if you do not agree with your credit evaluation for any reason, you must pursue this with your Academic Advisor, after which you can also make an appeal through the Academic Standards Board.

The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor is conservative in awarding credit for learning experiences at military schools and may award credits for military courses completed if the courses are consistent with university policy on granting credit when there is an equivalent course taught at U-M Ann Arbor. The amount and level of credit given is determined by the faculty in the appropriate university department.

Applicants should submit transcript(s) from the Defense Language Institute (DLI) and/or a joint services transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation and notification of transfer credit available.

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts

LSA does not grant credit toward graduation for any courses offered through the Officer Graduation Program except for those courses that are cross-listed in other academic units (effective September 1, 1971) or courses that have a University Course cross-listing. These latter courses count as non-LSA course work if the cross-listed offering falls outside LSA academic departments or programs.

The College of Engineering

The College of Engineering’s acceptance of cross-listed course work can vary depending on the engineering degree program and specific elements relative to the respective degree.

For additional military questions, please visit or contact Phil Larson, program director for the Student Veterans Assistance Program, at

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will send you an email within 48 hours confirming receipt of your transcripts once they are received and processed by our office. In order to expedite the time it takes to process and evaluate your credit we strongly encourage electronic submission of your transcripts. Transcripts can be sent electronically by a School Official through the Common Application, Coalition Application, or via email to Please note, credit can not be evaluated or posted using unofficial or student copies of transcripts.

Due to the volume of applications we receive and review, a pre-evaluation of transfer credit for prospective students is not a service that we are able to provide. However, many courses have already been previously evaluated for transfer credit and are posted for your reference in our transfer equivalency database, which you can view at this link.

Students admitted to the University of Michigan will receive a tentative evaluation of their transfer credit within six weeks of receiving an offer of admission. This evaluation will be based upon the courses reported on the official transcripts provided at the time of application. If an applicant would like additional work completed in subsequent terms to be evaluated, an additional official transcript that includes the final grades for this coursework must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Transcripts can be sent electronically to

Enrolled University of Michigan students who wish to take courses outside of the university that are required for degree or graduation requirements are strongly encouraged to select courses from our transfer equivalency database that have already been evaluated and determined to be eligible for course equivalent transfer credit. You may access the transfer equivalency database at this link.

If you are an enrolled student and have a need to take a class outside of the university that is not listed in the transfer equivalency database you may submit a Transfer Credit Equivalency Form to have the out-of-resident courses pre-evaluated for credit. Please note, that you should expect that it can take up to six weeks from the date of submission to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to receive the evaluation requested. Therefore, students are encouraged to plan accordingly and should submit this form and the required course catalog descriptions at least six weeks prior to the start of the term in which they hope to enroll in the coursework.

Enrolled University of Michigan students who are submitting official transcripts for the evaluation of coursework done outside of the university for credit should expect that it can take up to six weeks for the credit to be evaluated and posted. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions receives a very high volume of transfer credit to evaluate at the start of each term and transcripts are reviewed in the date order in which they were received by the office. Once credit has been evaluated it will be posted and available for you to review on Wolverine Access through your unofficial transcript. Therefore, students planning to use these courses for required pre-requisites or graduation requirements for the upcoming term are strongly encouraged to have the work pre-evaluated and they should request their transcripts as soon as possible to expedite the posting of the needed coursework/credit. Transcripts can be sent electronically to